At Dhekelia Primary School we have introduced the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to help children read and write using phonics. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics.
Children across school use the colour Book Banding system for home reading books.
What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a consistent, rigorous and dynamic literacy programme to teach EVERY child to read by the age of six. Using synthetic phonics, children quickly learn to blend letter sounds together following a fun and effective programme. The RWI programme has been proven to be a very successful method of teaching every child to read and write using phonics. Evidence of this can be found in the Ofsted Report, Reading by six: how the best schools do it.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences.
When do we start teaching RWI?
All children in Reception and KS1 will be following the programme. They will have already been assessed so will be put into groups and given the appropriate RW1 reading to follow. The programme can also be followed by older children to catch up.
Where can I find out more information about RWI?
The official Read Write Inc website, www.oup.com/oxed/primary/rwi/ provides all the information you need to support your child through the programme. www.oup.com/oxed/primary/rwi/forparents/ has a vast range of information for parents.